Inner Voice Of A Trapped sOuL

My 2c-worth of things happenin' ard the world and me...

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Money, the root of all evil?

It is the taboo word in any friendship, and it is suffice to say that unless you're a multi-millionaire, it will remains so for a long time to come. I learnt it the hard way...

Ok so the story goes that a friend from m'sia required a large sum of money for 'family emergency' back in november last year. We've known each other since our days at melb (so it must have been a minimum of 3 years already), and till then I've known her to be a reliable person, and I've regarded her as a trustworthy one as well.

So when she came to borrow the money from me then, I lent to her around 90% of the fund for my personal use (five digit figure in sgd). I really didn't hesitate back then as I thought it was an emergency, and I trusted her words that she'd pay me back immediately when her cash flow got better in december.

Fast forward to March 2009, and not a cent has been repaid yet. Zilch.

I didn't need the money then, and nor is it that important to me now. While it is true that I could have put it to better use (ie. on holiday trips or buying my favourite Seiko or Tag Heuer watches!) if it still remained in my account, I wouldn't be struggling without it.

It is just the fact that she didnt even bother to explain to me what happened with the money and if she intended to make repayment at all. In fact, until I called her 1 week ago, I haven't heard from her since she took that pile of cash from me back then.

If she had called and explained to me she had been in a tight spot these few months, and she needed to take a few more months before she could pay me back, I'd have accepted it and perhaps even help her by pushing back the repayment date till she's more comfortable.

I just hate the fact that there's no accountability to whatever my money is used for. Since I had no hesitation at the beginning to make a five-digit loan to her, shouldn't she be obliged to at least call me up to say 'thanks' after her problem is resolved?

I told myself that if she didnt intend to pay me back, then I guess our friendship was just worth that five-digit figure to her. Since I was prepared all along, I guess I shouldnt be complaining, but I'm pretty dissappointed that it should come down to this.

Well there's nothing I can do about it now, so the ball is entirely in her court, and till she hits it back I won't have a shot to play.

Definitely won't be holding my breath for this game....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home