Inner Voice Of A Trapped sOuL

My 2c-worth of things happenin' ard the world and me...

Monday, June 19, 2006

Food Avalanche!

This was a post written about 2 mths ago when I first came back to SG:

Since I came back to Indo, I’ve been overfeeding myself plenty of yummy stuff everyday. Mom has been cooking my fav dishes, & what can be a better compliment to her other than finishing what the cook cooks? :-) I know, I know…. These are only excuses for satisfying my ever growing appetite. Mom doesn’t help either by overestimating the portions every single time + making me feel guilty by saying she has to throw away the stuff if we don’t finish it. Dad doesn’t really care about that so I have been the only one that saw the pt of not wasting the food & hence has to finish it at the end *haiz*

Back in my hometown, the only thing I look forward to everyday is the baddie session after work. Have been going to my club pretty regularly, except for yesterday & today bcoz I’m too lazy to move after I come home. As always, I’m still very impressed with the standard here but this time my experiences from playing in competitions has paid off a bit. I think I’ve risen in standard from the C+ grade to B- in my club bcoz I can finally hold my own when I play against the B grade ppl. Ppl in that grade are mainly old men who are past their prime, but still pack a punch either because of their special shots, or that they just have way more experience than me. I’ve played a few times with the people from the A- and A+ grade too, & found that they are still way tooooo good for me!!! By the end of the matches, I always felt super tired and felt that I haven’t performed well at all, but all of them could still start another match as if the one before was just a warm-up!

Playing in my club involves a lot of pressure because betting is involved in every match. The atmosphere there is like playing soccer matches in Camp Nou of Barcelona or Santiago Bernabeu of Real Madrid, definitely intimidating for people with very little experience. It’s not uncommon if someone asks you to stop midway during a match while they decide and offer the odds to the other people there. I was recently involved in a ‘Match of the Day’, betting-wise, with bets up to 1 million buck (AU$150). Everything was going well for us & we were leading 29-23 (30 point old system), just 1 point away from victory. Our opponent was definitely weaker than us & I had expected to close the match there. We lost our serve, & lost 7 pts straight because the pressure was getting to my partner and caused him to lose concentration. & so, we ended up losing the match against a weaker opponent, just because the pressure cooker environment was getting to us so much. Definitely a good practice ground to learn how to calm myself down when so many pairs of eyes & screams are directed at me all the time during the match. My ex-coach also told me afterwards I should have stopped to get a drink when they were on a winning run, just to disrupt their momentum and get my partner’s back to normal. As Jacky Wu always says, ‘The ginger old is spice’ (clue: translate to mandarin). Hope to learn more from these old masters before I head for SG soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home