Inner Voice Of A Trapped sOuL

My 2c-worth of things happenin' ard the world and me...

Sunday, October 15, 2006

HAIL CANDRA & TONY!!

Can't believe my eyes when I saw the score:

Candra & Tony vs Cai & Fu 21-11, 21-11!!!!!!

(In case you didn't know, Cai & Fu are the recently crowned World Champion men's doubles and also the current world no 1 pair)

Candra has recently retired from indo national team, though he's still training 3-4 times a week with the national team. Tony, on the other hand, is a player-coach with the what-the-heck-is-badminton-US team after moving there several years ago with his wife, also a former indo national player.

Putting 2 semi-retired players to play in a 5-6 star event normally means they'll be out before they even knew it, but that won't ever be the case for my idol, Tony Gunawan! I mean, look at the score, 21-11 for both games, against the current world no 1! What else aren't they capable of doing??

It's always so delightful to see Tony's trick shots & amazing reaction time + anticipation at the net, & Candra's all-round solid strokes as well as his always cool composure even when the chips are down.

To say the truth, Tony has been, and still is, the single biggest inspiration to my game since I watched his All-England game against Candra & Sigit. He's the most down-to-earth guy I've ever seen, even though he's a superstar in badminton, almost comparable to Federer in tennis. There's not even a trace of arrogance in him, & he always looks like he's enjoying the game for what it is, not for the prize money.

My biggest, biggest dream would be to play (hmm I think that will be pushing it a bit.. all right make that just hitting a few strokes) with Tony before he retires for good, & get his shirt & signature!! That'll really make my day! I'm definitely gonna save up to be at Indonesia Open next year & cheer for him!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home