Inner Voice Of A Trapped sOuL

My 2c-worth of things happenin' ard the world and me...

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Current thoughts: Striked out ---> August 14, 2005

Had my final qualifying match against Kevin for the AUG selection... & lost it. Tried too many new things during the match, such as getting my net shots as close to the net as possible but ended up sticking it onto the net 90% of the time, and also there was the problem of adjusting to the speed of the shuttle after the competition yesterday in Monash where I could do full drives and not hit it out. On another day I would have won the match because I really feel I was the fitter one between the 2 of us and even when I was making errors it was still a pretty close match. In fact, I was leading 9-2 at a time during the second set (Lost it 14-17) but couldn't adjust to Kev's flick serve and hit most of them out.

Pretty dissapointed with the result. Not only that I can't make it to the AUG team, it also extended my recent tie-break losing record to 4 sets (1st one was when I played Matthew Perry (Vic team, lost 14-16), 2nd & 3rd with Zel (lost to Hero/Ferds 20-22 both sets!!), and the last one to Kev. (14-16)). I think I have a mentality problem when it comes to finishing off games. I was leading in 3 of those 4 sets and the opponents just kept coming back & I did not have the determination to finish them off. This is a big problem I need to rectify soon...

I wasn't feeling so pissed after I lost against Kev. It was probably because I thought Kev actually had more tricks in the bag than me in singles & he would make a good addition to the team if they needed a stronger single player. I haven't even been playing singles for 3 years until after SUG this year and to be fair to myself, I think I've at least improved substantially over the past 2 months. It's a shame that we could not have more time to play more matches before the team is decided, but that's just how life goes I guess. Nothing is ever going to the schedule...

I don't know whether I'll still have much motivation to turn up for training now. Simon told me he would have really liked me in the team because I had shown much effort and also improvement over this year. That comment alone has more than made up for the continuous effort I put in. He'd still like me to turn up for training since I'm still officially the back-up player in case anything goes wrong (not that I want anything to happen of course!!). To be honest, I lack the motivation to train once there is nothing to train for. I suppose there is still Melb. U. tournament coming up soon & I would like to stay in shape for that. After that though, I would be hard-pressed to find a reason to keep training since in my view that won't actually lead anywhere...

That was probably the last team thing I was trying for. My short 'career' as a badminton player has probably ended from today. I'm trying to be optimistic about the future as there's still social sessions + the occassional tournaments to look forward to, but it will definitely not be the same again when I'm not trying to push for a place in the Uni. team. This vision of the future has been further bleakened when I see Tack (a former uni. team player)on Thursdays in CBA and his lack of motivation these days to even show up for socials. I don't really want to end up in that state as I love the game, but I might not have much of a choice at all when I start working soon....

An interesting chapter of my life is ending soon. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time mixing & interacting with all the teammates in MUBC. It's never going to be the same from now on but I'm really happy to be considered for a spot in the team for the past 3 years. Roy Keane, captain of Manchester United FC, once said, "a player can never be bigger than the club". Very true indeed. Every player is part of the club and we just have to make our services available when called upon and not trying to force any personal decisions on the club. I'm a strong advocate of this principle and as such, although I'm not in the team this time, I will be ready whenever the team needs me until the competition is over. Hmmm, I wasn't thinking when I wrote the last sentence.. I think it means that my inner self still wants me to keep fulfilling my duty by turning up to training every week... & I definitely can't just throw away my obligation to the team right now....

1 Comments:

  • At 1:07 AM, Blogger Lil Mis A said…

    agree with Kitty. don't think training is just something for the team. its for everyone. train because you like it, enjoy it, be passionate. we want to see you on court playing baddie n having fun. :) hope to see you around just as much as before.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home