Inner Voice Of A Trapped sOuL

My 2c-worth of things happenin' ard the world and me...

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The whispering Tunes

One of my new year resolutions was to learn a musical instrument this year. I'm starting to work on it already now and so far it has been fun, though it's frustrating at times when I'm not making progress. It's my 5th day and I'm still enjoying every bit of the learning, & my latest progress is learning how to strum a 8-note sequence I picked up from the internet. In case some music illiterate are still wondering what i'm talking about (hey don't worry, I was like you ppl juz a few days ago!), I've fallen in love with acoustic guitar!

Was watching NBA All-Star game in an Irish pub on Drummond St (Pugg Mahones) and there was a live band performing. The lead singer was a huge Oz girl who could strum the guitar really well, on top of her own fantastic voice. I found myself looking at her strumming motions most of the time rather than watching the game on the 36 inch TV screen. Suddenly remember a lesson given in the SuperTeens Camp ™ back in Singapore during my “O’ year, when my school hired them to give the floundering students a boost in the results and a final desperate attempt to restore whatever reputation the school had initially (Apparently it was one of the top secondary schools in the ‘80s. Obviously it had gone downhill since then. It’s already been closed now because of low enrolment record :(

Anyway, the lesson was on you need to put something on your mind first before your brain can process it. That means if you don’t understand a lesson on the 1st day, you will at least have the residual memory in your brain and the next time you come back to reattempt the same question, you will find ‘hey, that’s not as difficult as I thought!’. The reason is because the brain is processing the information unconsciously even when you are not thinking of it all the time. The other thing is that your brain will alert you to new things that you have become interested in recently when you have never noticed it appearing in your life before. For example, when someone is on the lookout for new phones, the brain will alert you to a lot of different media (eg newspaper etc) hawking the latest gizmos around, when you have actually turned the pages of the same newspaper a thousand times but have never noticed the advertisements for phones. This time though, the brain will make you notice them and compare the products offered by different competing companies.

I realized I have been paying a lot of attention to how pro guitar players play and appreciate how good they actually are than just nodding my head and groovin’ to the beat previously. It’s such a blessing to be able to express yourself in an artistic form and it’s definitely one thing that I would like to learn to do. Oh yeah, thanks to Joon and Boi2 for teaching me the basics too! I’m sure I’d trouble them soon with more questions in the short time to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home