Inner Voice Of A Trapped sOuL

My 2c-worth of things happenin' ard the world and me...

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Was following the rerun of season 2 of ‘So U think U can dance’ the past 2 weeks on channel 5, & I think this time it was even more exciting than the 1st time I've watched it. Even skipped baddie on tues nite to watch it coz it was the semis, and each day I'm seated on an emotional rollercoaster as more & more of the talented dancers exited the competition. Starting with Allison, whom I thought was the most versatile dancer & the best gal in contemporary, & then Ivan (hip-hop), Natalie (contemporary), Heidi (ballroom), Donyelle (??), & Travis (contemporary), who were all excellent dancers in their own right. Benji was the eventual winner, and rightfully so, as I have boldly predicted when I watched him during the audition stage. He was by far the most entertaining performer, and his slick charm definitely won him the votes of the audience.

Before they left, they were asked for their comments, and I was most impressed & touched by Donyelle’s, ‘I almost quit dancing. I asked God for direction in life, & I joined this competition. I went for audition & I’m still here… & I can’t stop now.’ Almost made me cry then, coz I could totally relate to her experience when I was training for badminton during secondary school & Melb Uni days. I had wanted to stop training back then coz it was draining me both physically and emotionally, to the point that my results were greatly affected. It finally struck me that I didn’t have to keep training to be playing the sports I love, & by then I had realized that I would have regretted it if I gave it up for good. Till now, I’m just learning to take it all in again, & enjoy the game as it is, simple and pure…

I have so much more respect for dancers right now, not only because they’re excellent at what they do, but more because of their dedication to their own trade. Dancing is not traditionally considered to be a money-spinning job, & most dancers enter the industry knowing that they probably won’t ever become rich… in monetary terms. What they lack in material comfort, though, is more than compensated by the abundance of joy & pride they get when audience give them a standing ovation at the end of their performance. Dancers are seriously underpriced talents, & I can never understand why. American idols probably earn a few multiples of what ‘America’s most popular dancer’ gets, & I certainly don’t think AIs are more talented than AMPDs. Arrgghhh enough said!

I have another interesting story to tell, but let’s leave it till next time! Till then, Adios!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home